Unilever has voluntarily recalled products from brands such as TRESemme, Suave, Dove due to benzene concerns.
Unilever recently announced that it is voluntarily recalling 19 popular dry shampoo aerosol products sold in the United States due to concerns about benzene, a chemical known to cause cancer.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, exposure to benzene, which is classified as a human carcinogen, can occur through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact and can cause cancers, including leukemia and blood cancers.
People are exposed to benzene on a daily basis through things like tobacco smoke and detergents, but exposure can be considered dangerous, depending on the dose and duration of contact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Unilever said it has pulled products from “too much caution” and that the company has not received any adverse event notifications related to the recall to date.
SEE ALSO: Hair straightening chemicals may be linked to uterine cancer risk, study finds
The recalled products were manufactured before October 2021, and retailers have been instructed to pull the affected products from the shelves.
A full list of affected products and consumer codes can be found here. The company said in a press release that no other products of Unilever or its brands were affected by this recall.
The list of affected products includes:
- Dove Dry Shampoo Volume and Fullness
- Dove Dry Shampoo Fresh Coconut
- Dove Dry Shampoo Fresh and Floral
- Dove Dry Shampoo Ultra Clean
- Dove Dry Shampoo Invisible
- Dove Dry Shampoo Detox and Purifying
- Dove Dry Shampoo Clarifying Charcoal
- Dove Dry Shampoo Go Active
- Nexxus Dry Shampoo Revitalizing Mist
- Nexxus Inergy Foam Shampoo
- Suave Dry Shampoo Hair Refresher
- Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo Revitalize and Revitalize
- TRESemmé Dry Shampoo Volumizing
- TRESemmé Dry Shampoo Fresh and Clean
- TRESemmé Pro Pure Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Oh Beehive Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Oh Bee Hive Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Bedside Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
The recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the US Food and Drug Administration. Unilever urged consumers to immediately stop using affected aerosol dry shampoo products and visit the company’s website for eligible product refunds.
Copyright © 2022 ABC News Internet Ventures.