A well-known leaker shared four images of an alleged new Silent Hill game before they were quickly deleted by the “copyright holder” – leading many to believe they are legitimate.
Twitter user Dusk Golem posted the images before their account was locked and the images removed. The leaker later claimed on ResetEra that the copyright claim was made by Silent Hill’s owner Konami.
The deleted images have been seen by IGN, and appear to show a handful of appropriately horrid environments, including a rundown house and creepy corridor, alongside a character model whose face is peeling away to reveal bits of paper behind the skin.
(1/2) Silent Hill leak. There’s a lot I’m not sharing for now. This is from a relatively new source for me, but I have been given more than enough proof to believe them. I will also mention the names “Anita & Maya”, “SMS Messages”, & this is not the only SH game in dev. The shots pic.twitter.com/t5MWzNxfFS
– AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem (@ AestheticGamer1) May 13, 2022
Dusk Golem has previously leaked correct information, particularly in relation to other Japanese horror series Resident Evil, and claimed to have “more than enough proof to believe” these images were real.
“I will also mention the names ‘Anita and Maya’, ‘SMS Messages’, and this is not the only Silent game in development,” they added. “I know many will doubt this, but I have a lot of private proof to show this is real.”
A Silent Hill reboot has been rumored since last October and further reports emerged in February, before flaring up once more in March when Konami renewed the series’ trademark.
The franchise has been dormant since 2012 outside of a very brief appearance in 2014’s PT Konami released the demo to tease a new game called Silent Hills, intended to be directed by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, but it was canceled and removed from sale a a few months later.
There are eight mainline games in the Silent Hill series, starting with the 1999 original (which IGN said was amazing) and ending with 2012’s Silent Hill: Downpour (which IGN said was bad).
While Konami has renewed its trademark for Silent Hill it wasn’t so successful in other areas, as in February someone seemsingly bought SilentHill.com just to troll the publisher. The website now displays a single, real tweet from Silent Hill 2 and 3’s art director Masahiro Ito, who said he regrets designing the series’ iconic villain Pyramid Head.
Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale. He’ll talk about The Witcher all day.